The Downtown Construction Project at IL Route 171 (State Street) and IL Route 7 (9th Street), overseen by the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), alleviates traffic congestion through downtown and heading toward and over the IL Route 7 (9th Street) high level-bridge and through downtown along State Street. Prior to project completion, IDOT reported that segments of IL Route 7 and both sides of IL Route 171 have pressing safety improvement needs. As part of this project, the City is replaced water mains and water service laterals and installed new streetscaping.
- Traffic signal replacement
- Adding left turn lanes on IL 171 (State Street)
- Reconstructing on-street parking
- Providing new ADA compliant sidewalks and crossings within the project area
- Utility relocations, water main replacement, and all water service lateral replacement between our main and plumbed into the buildings (water main replacement and water service lateral replacement are funded by the City)
- Filling the old coal vaults that currently reside under the sidewalks as a safety measure for both pedestrians and building owners
- Adding various streetscape improvements