Notices of Code Updates
- Adoption of the 2015 International Building Codes - posted June 17, 2019
- Adoption of the 2015 International Building Codes - posted June 5, 2019
- 2019 Illinois Code Changes - posted January 15, 2019
Current Codes & Amendments
We currently follow:
- 2002 National Electric Code (amended) (PDF)
- 2000 International Building Code (amended) (PDF)
- 2000 International Residential Code (amended) (PDF)
- 2000 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 State of Illinois Plumbing Code **
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code **
**The most current versions of the Illinois Energy Conservation Code and the Illinois Plumbing Code are both required to be followed by Illinois statute
- (A) No person shall be a contractor within the city without first having obtained a certificate of registration therefor as herein provided. Any person who engages in the construction, repair, or alteration of any building, structure of street or sidewalk pavement within the city, for which a building permit is required, is presumed to be a contractor and must be registered hereunder unless such presumption is rebutted.
- (B) A homeowner engaged in constructing, altering or repairing the homeowner's personal residence shall not be considered a contractor for purposes of this chapter.
Registration documents can be found on the "Contractor Registration" page.
- When is a Building Permit required?
- When is a Building Permit not required?
- Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?
- What is the processing time for a permit?
- What type of payment do you accept?
- How can I find my plat of survey?
- What codes does the City of Lockport follow?
- How long is a permit valid?
- How can I be sure the contractor I have chosen is trustworthy?
- Are contractors required to register with the Building Department?
- I am a homeowner, can I complete work on my own home?
- What is J.U.L.I.E. and what is the number?
- What are the swimming pool regulations within the City of Lockport?
- Why is a street bond required for my project?